Translate

Friday, April 5, 2013

April 6th

Yesterday was a busy day! We didn't have any apartment viewings scheduled so I decided to take care of my laundry, I quickly washed and hung 3 loads. For such a modern country with top of the line electronics, Japan's laundry washing system really is quite primitive. I guess it is an indicator of how Japanese wives comfort is viewed.The machines are very basic and hard on the clothes and clothes dryers are unheard of. So I wash the laundry, haul it upstairs, open the balcony doors and hang them on the line to dry. Since it's a windy country, you hang the clothes and pin the clothes themselves to the hangers so they don't blow off the clothes pole. You also clip the hanger to the clothes pole to keep the hanger from blowing away! I have to be careful as the balcony bar is pretty low on me...about butt level. I'm always afraid if there is a quake I'll tumble over the edge. Hopefully my apartment will have a higher wall around the balcony.  Anyway, I washed the laundry and it was windy enough that the clothes dried quickly and I got them back inside and put away. This is a good thing because we're expecting some heavy rain this afternoon and tomorrow! Weather man says some areas of Japan may get pretty wild winds too, we'll see.
After the laundry I rode Atsuko's bike to the grocery store. Figuring out what to cook everyday is always a challenge, the grocery stores are very modern it's just that the groceries are different. Yesterday I decided to invent a chicken stew thingy. It turned out well with chicken ,potatoes,leeks, Japanese mushrooms, asparagus in a white gravy. I told Gary it was like Chicken pot pie without the pie.
 
I enjoyed it with a butter roll and a Grape Mountain Dew!
 
That was my day pretty much! Today we're off to see more apartments and hopefully not get caught in the rain headed our way! I REALLY hope today is the day we find our apartment!

No comments:

Post a Comment