Translate

Sunday, April 14, 2013

April 14th

So yesterday we headed to Ochanomizu, it's a bit far from where we are but then again most destinations in Tokyo are a bit far because the city is so huge! Certain areas of Tokyo have canals running through them , Ochanomizu is one of them.
 
One of the first things we noticed was all of the musical instrument stores lining one of the streets. Guitars, saxophones, pianos etc. so I guess this is where we'll look when we start buying equipment for the church.
 
 We also ran across this interesting building in our wandering.

If you look closely you can see the stained glass windows. It's called the Tokyo Marudori building but I can't find any data on it. It currently houses several restaurants though Gary and I wondered if it hadn't originally been a church as the stained glass depict a large angel in one and a chariot with winged horses and a man in another.
 
 Not far from here is the Japanese Orthodox cathedral. We didn't get to see it yesterday but I hope to visit it in the future.
 
 
The Holy Resurrection Cathedral (commonly known as Nikorai-do after the founder St. Nicolas of Japan)was built in the 1800's.
More fascinating information for you history buffs here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Orthodox_Church
 
(yes, I know Wikipedia is not an authorized source but it jives with everything else I've read and is in an easy to read format)
Anyway, I'm going to have to dig around and see if I can find some information on the Marudori domed building as it's peaked my curiosity. That's it for now...I have errands to run!
Have a great day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment