Translate

Sunday, April 21, 2013

April 21st Catching up!

Not much has happened the last few days...thus no blog. Mostly stayed around the house, though Friday evening we took Atsuko over to the little Indian restaurant we found in Higashi Koganei..she really liked it and even asked the owner for his business card!
Yesterday we got off to a bit of a slow start , some days are like that! It's been rainy and chilly the past few days and that contributes to the staying home mostly stuff... not much fun walking in the rainy chilly stuff and waiting for buses and trains. We did finally drag ourselves off to Fuchu Station and environs yesterday afternoon. Had a few things to pick up at the Daiso store, I found a couple pair of socks; the washing machines here are rough on clothes and I think with all the walking my socks were starting to show the wear and tear. Socks are a big deal here, they come in countless colors, patterns and styles. I didn't get anything too crazy though!
Gary spent some time picking out an umbrella, I sat on a bench and rested while he and several other people meticulously picked through umbrellas, testing their strength and opening and closing them... I think he was getting a little frustrated because everyone was just as picky as he was and getting in his way! Ha! I sat on a nearby bench and just waited marveling at how another thing I thought was just his quirk turns out to be a countrywide  trait! We got some dinner at my little tonkatsu soup place that makes the good pork brothy soup and had some rice and karage (fried boneless chicken) on the side. Gary had a clear broth ramen and some gyoza and rice. It's a no smoking restaurant from opening until 5 p.m., after that people can smoke. Can't have the salary men get off work and not be able to smoke while they drink and eat with their coworkers. (Going out for drinks after work is obligatory in most jobs here).
Today I made a trip to the grocery store to pick up some stuff for dinner and a few basic items (eggs, milk, bread). I didn't ride the bike so I couldn't get too many things but I still ended up spending $45. Groceries are very expensive here, it can be as cheap to eat out (at the cheaper places) as it is to cook at home. Today since it's all chilly and wet outside, I made a nice potato, cheesy, soup with diced smoked sausage. It was tasty served with bread! I certainly can't complain about the weather here, my sister wrote that they got 22 inches of snow dumped on them  AND the electricity went out for 13 hours! Gotta love Wisconsin! UFDA!!!
One of the brothers in Vegas kindly sent us some of our Pastors' sermons so we enjoyed staying in and hearing some good preaching!
I guess this week maybe we'll try to find some furniture stores and start pricing stuff for when we finally get to move in after Golden Week which ends May 5th. Living in a 6 tatami room with 8 suitcases and two futons on the floor is a bit crowded so we are looking forward to getting moved!
That's the news for here! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment