Translate

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Chiba!

Gary and I have spent the last 3 days in the Chiba area of Tokyo. It's a very active area of the city and we've been busy exploring and only getting slightly lost on occasion! Fortunately, I was able to ask the Chiba Bear for directions...
 
We've purchased our Suica Pass for the train and are feeling pretty comfortable with the train system. Of course we still need to learn the monorail and buses and some of the private trains but we're getting there!
Here in Chiba there were these posts that had giant gold peanuts on them.
What's with that?! I wonder if Chiba means peanut?
 
Tonight we wanted to get some dinner so Gary asked the hotel clerk for an inexpensive place to get some dinner. (she didn't speak English but we managed to get the idea across) She sent us across the street, to what I thought was a flower shop. Behind the flower shop though was a little eatery, not a place foreigners usually eat I think. There was a lady in her 50's and a younger cook . We sat at the counter and the menu was all in Japanese of course so we just pointed at the few pictures in the menu. I think the waitress was amused, but she was game to help us out and had Gary point at the things in the Big soup pot that he wanted in his soup. I just pointed to a noodle picture on the menu and ended up with a tasty yakisoba, and then since I was still hungry..lol..I pointed to a different picture and had a really nice what she called guudon. It was fried cabbage, onions, pork, udon noodles with sauce and other tasty stuff.  I would point to some of the fixings around the counter and she showed me what to put on the food. It was fun and tasty! Afterwards when it was time to leave it had started to rain and she gave us an umbrella. We tried to explain that we were from the hotel across the street and left the umbrella with the front desk clerk and tried to explain that the restaurant lady might come for it later. Who knows what anyone really understood though!lol
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment