Translate

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

September Already!

Hard to believe the summer is gone and fall is at our doorstep! The heat has been intense this past month and we hear that September continues hot but still...autumn is on the way! I'm generally a summer person myself, but even I admit to looking forward to a little cooler weather!

Had another dentist appointment today... this makes EIGHT so far! Good news is I'm finally seeing the end of the tunnel on this! Should only have about 4 appointments left and 3/4's of my mouth has all new dental in it and is looking great! On my way home I passed this cemetery.  Interesting thing is that it's in the middle of a very crowded shopping area as is the temple that is next to it. I guess the shopping area just got built up around them. Some of the graves I saw looked quite old.


Gary had his weekly Japanese class yesterday, later I hopped the Mu bus and went to Mitaka to meet him. This is the street where he has his class.

After we met up it was On to food!  We stopped for some lunch at a salaryman cafĂ©, (that's what I call the cafes where you buy a ticket at the door to get your meal). I tried a new hamburger dish they had advertised.  The hamburger had a tomato/garlic sauce going on with a soft boiled egg on the side. It was alright but almost too garlicky for me which is hard to believe because I'm a very big fan of garlic!

Gary and I sat at a table together but many diners just gather around a large center table.

Earlier in the week I had decided to make a Korean dish. When we lived in Panama, my girls and I got interested in cooking Korean food. One of our favorite dishes was yachaejeon. It has julienned zucchini,green onions, and shrimp.( Sometimes I also add scallops if I have them on hand.) I sure miss cooking with my girls!

 It's really a very simple recipe and tastes great with rice and a dipping sauce! Here is the video so you can learn to make it too!



Maangchi, the lady who does these cooking videos has become moderately famous now but when we were watching her she was just starting out. Check out some of her other videos, the recipes are very tasty!

Yesterday, was Labor Day for you guys. I don't have a grill so I couldn't do the whole grill out thing, but I did do some good old fried chicken and my mother-in-laws delicious potato salad recipe!



Hope all my American readers had an enjoyable Labor Day...and the rest of you an enjoyable regular day!

2 comments:

  1. Since we grilled Friday after outreach, we didn't do grilling yesterday, just hung out at home. That chicken looks super yummy! I've definitely cooked fried chicken a lot this summer. And yes, I'm SO ready for fall! Does Tokyo actually have a "fall", like Colorado? Miss you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tokyo has 4 seasons, we even had snow once or twice in the winter, though mostly winter is just "cold"(30-40 degrees) and no snow. I do look forward to visiting the park to see the fall colors when the leaves change! Miss you guys too!

    ReplyDelete