Translate

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

July 30 2013 Post Office Charades (and ham..yay!)

Tonights dinner was a new recipe. Buta-baraniku to daikon no nimono (Simmered pork with daikon radish). It also had carrots and shitake mushrooms. Very simple ingredients but with the flavorful dashi stock  it had a rich meaty taste along side of the rice. 
Earlier in the day I had taken Speedy over to the post office.  We had a package to mail out and one to pick up that we had missed the day before while we were out. (At least that's what we thought the paper said ... hopefully). The post office is a long walk away but it's relatively close by bike so I don't mind the ride.  I did my usual game of charades with the post office lady and she was nice and tried to use her very limited English and between us we managed to get the package mailed. When I showed her the notice we had received she came out from behind her counter and walked me all the way around the post office to show me which window I needed to be at to retrieve my package. So Nice!
Yesterday, Gary and I went to Kichijoji , we still hadn't gotten him a dresser yet and it was time. We had one in mind from the same store we had purchased our couch from but had been looking around some more till we finally decided to come back to the original choice! Lol  We will be having a book shelf and patio table for our balcony delivered this weekend as well that Gary found on craigslist on somebodies Sayonara Sale. A Sayonara Sale is when a foreigner is returning to their home country and have to sell all of their things. They sell stuff super cheap because if they don't get rid of it, they have to PAY to have it hauled away and it isn't cheap!
 
On our way home I saw a little shop where I had found some really good sliced ham once (like home baked and sliced) and got all excited and ran inside.



When I came out Gary was gone! I walked a few blocks toward the house but then headed back figuring I just missed seeing him, turns out he was in a realtors office asking about buildings for the church.  I guess he told me he was going in there as I headed to the ham but I was too excited to hear!  When I asked him where he was he told me,                                    
                            "Didn't you know I have to be about my Father's business?"
 
Well, I guess we both had our priorities and later as he ate a tasty ham sandwich he was happy with mine too! (it was really good ham!)
 
 

4 comments:

  1. So glad you are learning how to live in Tokyo, from cooking recipes, to using PO, to finding simple food items that we as Americans can take for granted how easy we can get stuff. Sayonara Sales sound awesome too! So...what did realtor say?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, forgot to mention, that as we were driving home from Walmart yesterday, around 3:30'ish, we happened to see Gary disappearing down a street. Probably heading to PO or King Soopers/Target. ;)

      Delete
    2. The realtor took Gary's info and will let us know if she finds a building that would suit us. There's a Target down by you guys? I don't remember there being one there, is it new?

      Delete
    3. There is one right across from Sloan's Lake, in about the same shopping complex as King Soopers ;) No, it's been there a couple years now.

      Delete