Translate

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 9th End of Rainy Season

Sunday, the weather people here officially declared rainy season over. Monday, we had a nice thunderstorm and rain! Well, to be honest, we have been enveloped in a heat wave since Saturday ...upper 90's and HIGH humidity, but late yesterday afternoon for a short spell there was a little relief by way of a nice downpour. I think the temperature dropped to the upper '80's!  I haven't been this hot since we lived in Panama. This isn't quite as bad as Panama heat...I feel like the sun was hotter there for some reason, but it is plenty hot none the less! The streets are emptied of all but a few people, mostly teenage boys- (who we all know are crazy and will go out in anything!) or housewives at the grocery store ( Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these women from the swift completion of their appointed rounds)!  Today, it seemed a little cooler than the last couple of days though, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. Either way, after my dentist appointment this morning I walked all the way back to the train station instead of waiting for the bus. I saw a lot of hats, parasols and long, up past the elbow gloves. I'm not sure if the gloves are a fashion statement or protection from the sun or both, but they are quite popular here and I have seen women wear them in the winter too.


The full on face shield for bike riders is also popular, it makes sense but is rather startling when you first encounter them riding toward you on a sidewalk!

I am tempted to buy one of these face masks but then I'd feel compelled to put google eyes on the front for fun!!!  (hmmm, there's a plan!)


The weather forecast says we will remain in the 90's until Saturday at least , I better stock up on cold drinks!

3 comments:

  1. David and I are contemplating when to come, thinking some time between October and February, but am I correct in thinking that the weather is comparable? Hot here, hot there...cold here, cold there? I told him it may be too cold to go in our winter, because you have cold winter too at the same time...right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in January & February, "cold" here means 50-60's during the day, might dip down to 40-50's at night. The team is coming down the last week of September, so we might need a little break after that...

      Delete
  2. Yes, but our winter isn't as cold outside as Denver. I was always cold inside as not all the rooms are heated, but our apartment is small so it won't be so much to heat our little space I hope. Actually I think October and November aren't too bad as far as cold goes. I think January and Feb are the coldest.

    ReplyDelete