Translate

Monday, June 24, 2013

June 24th Of Cooking and Food

Gary spent about an hour the other night deciphering the manual for our rice cooker. We have a magical rice cooker that not only cooks rice in any way you can imagine, but it supposedly also bakes! Since I don't have an oven, we have been wanting to try out the baking feature on the rice cooker but as you can see there are many buttons!
 
After using a translating app on his phone where he scanned portions of the kanji in the manual and it translates it he figured out the process! So this morning using a recipe I got off of youtube, I mixed together the ingredients and Voila! we had a little chocolate cake! It's not going to win any cooking prizes but with a little powdered sugar sprinkled on top it was a tasty treat! I think it'll do something like banana bread even better.
 
Last week Gary figured out another VERY important thing...how to order Dominos pizza online! Japan has pizza places but it's not American pizza. the toppings are way different , i.e.(shrimp, wasabi, corn, mayo) and we really just wanted a nice American pizza. It's wonderful to have a little piece of home on occasion!
 
 
On a side note he was also able to order for me from Amazon, two cookbooks I've been trying out from the library. If you're interested in learning to cook Japanese I recommend these books. The recipes are tasty and easy to follow!

 
Yay for Gary, translator extraordinaire!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE Japanese food! What's the second cookbook you recommend? I only see "Japanese Homestyle Cooking". Going to go add it to my wishlist right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Can you please update your "Gary's Blog" link? It tries to go to the old one which is not there. So much easier to get it from your site, than search my emails for the new blog address. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a famous Japanese cooking show called your Japanese kitchen. Lady that does it is a famous Japanese cook book author and it all in english. I know you don't have a tv but you can fine some of the episode on YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete