Translate

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

May 28th Let Me Make This Perfectly Clear...

I don't like shopping! I'm a strange woman in this aspect I suppose, but to me shopping is work. I'd much rather spend my time doing other things like going hiking, eating somewhere new or reading a book.  However, since we arrived in Japan with just suitcases and no furnishing or household goods I've found myself doing ALOT of shopping this month as we make our apartment a home. Fortunately, I'm beginning to see light at the end of the shopping tunnel. There are still a few things we need , but I'd say we are about 95% done! Whew! Yay!
Today, I decided to bite the bullet and go look for some bedding. The futons and blankets we're using now are borrowed and will be returning to their owner forth with. Our own bed arrives on June 1st so We need sheets, blankets, pillows etc. I headed to the local Walmart (goes by the name Seiyu here) and started looking. First thing I discovered was that there were no bed sets... at least not for double beds. Every piece of bedding is sold individually... fitted sheet, pillow cases and guess what? NO flat sheets! What's with that?! I finally settled on a fitted sheet, a couple of pillow cases, and a duvet top blanket. I'll have to get some warmer blankets as winter approaches but this should do until then. I also bought a couple of pillows to try out. Pillows here are funny. It's hard to find a regular pillow that is firm and comfortable. You have feather pillows that are so soft you just sink into them and almost suffocate yourself. You have the ever popular pillow filled with hard beans/beads things, it weighs a ton and hurts your head to lay on! There is the memory foam pillows... again no support! I did finally manage to find a couple of kind of firm pillows... though they have like an indentation in the middle of the pillow for some reason. Anyway, we're going to try them out and see what we think. If we like them I'll have to go back and buy several more.  Also, the bedding here is super expensive! I bet you're wondering why I only bought one fitted sheet... it was $25! The duvet was $50 and the pillows were $10/each and they were the least expensive ones. Even the pillow cases were $5 each! This is at "cheap" Walmart! Even a regular microfiber blanket costs $50! Crazy!
On my way home though I did pass by this little used furniture shop and I found myself a neat little chest to hold stuff in. It had been being used as a sewing kit but I like it for all my knickknacks.

I guess I will have to amend my "not liking to shop statement" . I DO like shopping at little used store places and I like yard sales!
 
 
On a side note I found a neat snack!
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I thought bedding in the states was expensive, I will no longer judge the prices here. lol Had Pastor and you tried Octopus before you were sent to Japan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Actually, since he's Japanese octopus has always been a part of his life! And I was familiar with it from my childhood snacking in Japan. I did accidently buy a snack I thought was octopus the other day, the texture was all wrong though...it was in pieces and the color was right but the texture was wrong. It was chewy and crunchy. Once we translated the package it translated as cartilage! Not our favorite snack!

      Delete