Translate

Monday, November 11, 2013

November 12 2013 Happy Birthday Mom!

Tomorrow is my sweet Mommy's birthday! She turns 80 years old! Pretty impressive!  She is a wonderful Mom and Grandma, wish I could be with her to give her a big hug and kiss. Happy Birthday Mommy!
                                                       

Gary had a dentist appointment the other day and afterwards we met up in Kokubunji... we hadn't been there in a while so we decided to do a little wandering around the area. We stopped at one point for a coffee and pastry break. 

I had a tasty cinnamon/apple roll! (We didn't eat all of that, we took some home with us for later)
While we were eating in the room with about 40 other people, one of the cafe workers came up to return my teeny tiny shopping list that I'd apparently dropped when paying for the food. It really made me laugh, but I guess she figured it was in English and I was the only foreigner in the room so it must be mine! (That's Gary's handwriting, I can't write that small and neat)

We had lunch while we were there too. We found a new sushi place with a set menu that was reasonably priced and came with noodles and an interesting seafood custard.


Remember the lady who wanted to meet with us and hear about Jesus?We had a very nice meet up with her.We went to a coffee shop and talked for a long time. She and her sons are coming over on Saturday for dinner. I'm not confident enough to cook Japanese food for a Japanese person..especially since she is a cooking teacher! So I'll make lasagna and salad.  

I finally bought a donabe pot! It's really essential for making Japanese soups and stews so I was excited to get one and on sale too!

Since it's a clay pot,before I could use it I had to cure it. This is done by cooking some rice porridge in it as demonstrated by my video. (and you get to see a Japanese stove)



On to Food!

I tested out my crockpot making some of my favorite puerto rican style pork roast. This results in Mexican tasting carnitas! So we had what I called poor man carnitas because I had to use flour toritllas instead of corn and I had no cilantro or chicharon either. But it was still delicious and we were happy!

I also tried out a couple of new recipes. This is the fried rice recipe.

And here I am making sweet and sour pork.

Here's the finished product, except you don't see any peppers because this is Gary's plate and he doesn't like peppers.

So there you go!  That's it for today!!!



1 comment:

  1. Funny thing is, we were having our coffee and had been sitting there for about 15 minutes, when one of the staff walked up and started talking to my wife. Out of that whole room of customers, the staff had decided that the postage stamp sized piece of paper HAD to belong to Lisa!

    ReplyDelete