Translate

Monday, January 14, 2013

Cars of times gone by...







Throughout our almost 29 yrs. of marriage dear hubby and I have had many cars. None of them have been new, which probably explains why we've had so many! The following pictures aren't of our actual cars, but I tried to match the colors where I could.
The first car we purchased was a '66 Belvedere, we paid a whopping $175.00 for it and we drove it from Wisconsin to Mexico and back more than once! Eventually, it was sold in Mexico and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still being driven around!

We were one of the few cars in our village in Mexico and Gary would use it to haul all the village laundry (okay it was several neighbors and our laundry) to the river for washing. We were a big hit in the village with our car and since we provided the car all the ladies shared their lunch with me. This usually meant someone would dig a hole in the sand next to the river and when clean water filtered up it was added to a pot over a fire,someone else would supply fish,someone else onion and garlic,someone else tortillas...well you get the idea. It was always delicious after a morning of scrubbing clothes on a rock. At the end of the day, after the clean clothes finished drying on the bushes, we would load them back into the car and Gary would drive them back to the village while the ladies and I leisurely strolled the couple miles home.


When we weren't going to the river, we would get around the village on our little motorcycle. Since the roads were all dirt and mostly holes and pits it was more practical.




Later, back in the States we ended up with a couple of Dodge Darts. Dad bought one of them from me to help me out once. Years later when he was in the hospital I found my keychain from that car in his pants pocket, it was old and worn but he had carried it for 16 yrs., I carry it now.



 Later we would trade my wedding dress for a cute little 1960 Ford Falcon, it wouldn't go faster than 55 mph., but since that was the speed limit at the time, it didn't matter! It was such a cool little car!



 We ended up back in college in Ky. and we went through several vehicles, we just kept swapping cars. Hey, it's a Kentucky thing! One summer we started with a Big car, I don't remember what it was, we called it el Tiburon. We traded that for a cool VW van...I loved that little hippy van!



At some point we sold it and the car swapping began. In a couple of months we ended up with a Maverick,


  then a small truck and a pop up camper. Summer's end found us with a Big Dodge van for our move to New Mexico. We didn't have a back seat so my father in law just bolted a seatbelt to the floor for our sons carseat  and the roof was ugly so I painted it with house paint!
Funny how different cars will remind me of different times of my life, I guess cars are like a part of the family in their own way.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    for those following your blog that don't know your testimony, of how you got saved, met your husband, where you have been missionaries....do you mind doing a post to share? Sounds like you have had a great adventure serving God and would love to know your testimony! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out my very first blog post for that. Glad you enjoy my crazy ramblings!

      Delete