Translate

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August 21 2014

Hi folks! So I took a week off of blogging, it's been SO hot outside that I didn't really go out or do anything except for the absolutely necessary! I did try to go out one day but only made it as far as Kichijoji and it was so hot and muggy that I rushed home and took a nap in the air conditioning instead! 
Sunday after church we went out to lunch with Roger. We ran into Aya outside of the restaurant and she joined us as well. We had a nice lunch and visited for a very long time! Our little church has reached the point where folks hang around afterwards just visiting and chatting, I love that!

It's still quite hot this week, but I did manage a day out to Sunshine city in Ikebukuro! My sister had told me about an aquarium she went to on a school trip back in the 1960's when we lived in Japan and I wanted to find it. The interesting thing about this particular aquarium is that it is on the 10th floor and rooftop of a building! On my search for the right place I ran across this giant statue of Ultraman! My mom has a picture of me wearing an Ultraman mask for Halloween one year. He was my hero!
                                                                    

                                                         Of course I had to take a selfie!
 
I'm not really very scientific in my explorations, I look up the general directions and then just take off walking. If I get stuck, I ask somebody and usually I make it to my destination and end up seeing lots of extra stuff too along the way!
 

                                                
                                           Ikebukuro was a very busy place!
 
Finally I arrived! I had to wait in a long line to buy my ticket but it was worth it!
 
The jelly fish tunnel!
                                      
                                          Hello Kitty with fish in her belly! Makes sense.
                             
                                   A seal in a bowl on a roof...sounds like a Dr. Seuss book!
 
A fish the size of a child, except uglier.
 

                         
                              A man using a pair of tweezers to meticulously clean an aquarium!
 
Lots of fish.

The largest crab I've ever seen! Stretched out, it was longer than my arms spread wide.  I wanted to eat this SO bad, but saw no way of sneaking it out of the aquarium and I don't have a pot big enough to cook it!

                             Yup, seals are still doing tricks for people in exchange for small fish.

                           Penguins aren't for sale, they do tricks only to amuse themselves.
 
There was this giant octopus that blew smoke at people, it was at the entrance of the Special Exhibit I paid Y300 to see. Turns out it was an exhibit of really poisonous sea creatures. They labeled their lethality by # of poison bottles next to them.  Unfortunately, it consisted of a tiny space stuffed with a couple hundred people so I escaped as quickly as possible, only seeing a lion fish from a distance, as it was very hot in there!
 
Then I headed back to the train station and home.

I was quite hungry by the time I reached Kichijoji station so I stopped at Potihars (I call it Potifers)Indian restaurant for dinner. I had mutton curry, tandoori chicken, a kebab of mystery meat, and a pickled onion, chile chutney  with rice and naan.   It was tasty and reasonably priced, so I left happy.
 

 
There you have my day of adventure! More interesting than if I blogged my day yesterday which consisted of laundry, cooking, cleaning out the fridge and then going to clean the church!
Today, I will probably mop the floors in the house...woohoo!
I believe in working hard and playing hard... though some days I also believe in sitting on the couch and being lazy!
Laters!!!!
 

1 comment: