Translate

Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23rd 2013 Happy Birthday Emperor!

Happy Birthday Emperor Akihito! Today is a national holiday celebrated by all of Japan as the reigning emperors' birthday. 
 Emperor Akihito turns 80 years old today. In celebration the gates to the Imperial palace are opened so the general public may enter to wish the emperor birthday greetings.  He appears on the palace balcony to acknowledge the public, and then people wave Japanese flags and the imperial family wave back. Maybe next year I'll try to make it there to see the festivity! The gates to the Imperial Palace are only opened to the public twice a year, for the emperor's birthday and on January 2nd.   

Since today was a national holiday and also just a couple days before Christmas, the stores were all incredibly busy when I went shopping in Kichijoji today.  Gary and I hopped the Mu bus and then split up for a bit to do a little last minute shopping. While out, I ran into the sweet potato guy who was cooking hot sweet potatoes in a large clay pot! 
 
The potatoes are hung along the inside of the lower pot until cooked and then he sets the cooked ones in the top part of the pot waiting for sale. It's fun to see the old fashioned mixed in with the big city modernity sometimes!
While I was out I saw this interesting café... I wonder if I need a cat to get in?
 
Later, Gary and I met up at the Lindt Chocolate Store for a cup of hot chocolate! We also bought a few chocolates while we were there!
 
 
 
Afterwards, we hit Kaldi Coffee store and bought some import goodies for Christmas day!
When we came home we decorated the little Christmas tree that Gary's cousin Penny had gifted us while we were in Kentucky. It's a tiny little tree but I think it turned out nicely, and afterwards we can eat the ornaments! (Yes, those are Lindt chocolates)
 
 
 
And just for fun!
 

3 comments:

  1. Lol, was that the Lisa Happy Dance in your tangerine video? Made me miss you all the more! 3+ months!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cat Cafe is part coffee shop and part kitty petting zoo. http://wishyouwerehere.us/article/calico-cat-cafe It is an interesting idea and isn't much different from companion animals that visit senior centers or hospitals.

    LDW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will have to check one out sometime! Sounds fun, especially since my little apartment doesn't allow pets!

      Delete